Shijiazhuang launches citywide lockdown, clears hospitals amid COVID-19 combat
Shijiazhuang, capital of North China’s Hebei Province has prohibited all residents, vehicles from leaving the city, as part of the city’s latest efforts in COVID-19 epidemic combat, following its report of 50 new confirmed cases earlier on Thursday.
Vice-Mayor Meng Xianghong announced the restriction measures at a daily conference. “Residents, vehicles from Gaocheng district, the very high-risk area [in Shijiazhuang], must not leave the district.”
Five hospitals in Shijiazhuang have been cleared for receiving COVID-19 patients, with other three standing by as back-up treatment sites, Meng said.
Protection gears worth 250 billion yuan ($38.7 million), including 9.45 million medical surgeon masks and 600,000 N95 protection masks, have been in storage. Infection inventory is also sufficient, Liu Shengyan, head of the Shijiazhuang industry and information technology bureau, said on Thursday.
Earlier on Thursday, Shijiazhuang public security bureau has announced suspension of rail services at local train stations.
Post services in and from the city have also been suspended for at least three days, media reported.